Frankly, am tired of the romantic and rhetorical articles in the media on RTE. They are still continuing the "private schools are wrong" tirade. Sample this today:
"Forget the misplaced angst of private schools,...."
And then the mandatory "disclaimer"
"This is not to deny that there will be challenges faced by all concerned — school managements, teachers, parents and children — in enforcing the law both in letter and in spirit. "
But then they will not write what these challenges are.
I am documenting below, some of the articles written by bloggers, explaining many details and facets of this RTE. Please take some time out and read all of them to gain a proper understanding of this act.
- Is the RTE really for the poor? by RealityCheckIndia - http://realitycheck.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/is-the-right-to-education-quota-really-for-the-poor/
- Here, the author first gives an exhaustive list of the media narrative on this act. He then goes on to demolish the oft repeated myth/lie that the "poor" are actually benefited.
- Analysis of the RTE Judgment: Part I – The Question of Severability by Dilip - http://centreright.in/2012/04/analysis-of-the-rte-judgment-part-i-the-question-of-severability/#.T5jPZqV_7YE
- Here the author explains in great detail on how the SC judgement is flawed, because it is to "severe" out a part of the act. Either RTE applies for all, or it applies for none
- The Devil is in the Detail by yours truly :). I know it is a shameless plug, but nevertheless :) http://www.serious--fun.blogspot.in/2012/04/right-to-education-act-devil-is-in.html
- I talk about the arbitariness that is written all over the place, in this specific act of RTE2009. Just why is Kapil Sibal in a hurry?
- RTE - The implementation question by Kesava - http://centreright.in/2012/04/rte-the-imeplementation-question/#.T5jQoqV_73Y
- Here, the author makes great points on the question of implementing this act. The author suggests some good solutions too. Something main media hasn't done so far.
- RTE - The death knell for Indian educationby Right Wing Indian - http://centreright.in/2012/04/rte-the-death-knell-for-the-indian-education-system/#.T5jRf6V_73Y
- Here the author explains how govt. is shirking it's responsibility, the minority politics associated and the experimentation with kids
- Right to Education is the wrong thing for the right reason - http://m.economictimes.com/
opinion/comments-analysis/ right-to-education-is-the- wrong-thing-for-the-right- reason/articleshow/12831571. cms
- One of those rare articles in the main stream media. Talks about the problems private schools will face; talks about the arbitary teacher selection criteria
- Right to Education skirts real issues, harms private rights - http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnists/item/51456-right-to-education-skirts-real-issues-harms-private-rights.html
- Again talks about private schools, infrastructure etc
- Supreme Court has erred - Editorial in Pioneer - http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnists/item/51423-supreme-court-has-erred.html
- Talks about the judgement and also the implementation problems.
This list is so far the only articles I could find that discuss the other side of the rhetoric/romantic points made in the main stream. Please share any other good articles (content based please, either for or against) and will be more than happy to put them up here.